The official opening took place on 16th July 1927,
with Hercules hauling that inaugural train from
Hythe to New Romney.
When first opened to the public the line only covered,
in double track, the eight miles between Hythe and
New Romney — the railway's main terminus.
Owner Captain Jack Howey soon had his eye on
extending the line and in 1928 double tracks carried
the trains to Dungeness via Greatstone.
A fantastic main line ride of 13.5 miles.