One of two locomotives ordered in 1924 by
Count Louis Zborowski, Captain Howey's
original partner, and designed by Henry Greenly.
Greenly based them on Nigel Gresley's famous
A1 class locomotives of the London & North
Eastern Railway, of which the Flying Scotsman
is a surviving example. Green Goddess and
tender cost £1,250 to build. The name of the
locomotive was apparently taken from one
of Howey's favourite plays.
She was ready long before the railway, so
Howey arranged for her to be tested on the
Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway in Cumbria
during 1925. Following this, and while the line
was under construction, Howey tried to whet
the appetite of the local people by displaying
the loco at 'Binns Garage', right next door
to the railway, in Littlestone.
She has always been seen sporting a livery
of green, and since the war has sported two
new high capacity tenders. The second of
these now belongs to Northern Chief, the first
has been re-united with Green Goddess.
Green Goddess carries a Wilcox chime whistle
and George Barlow was her driver for over
thirty years from 1947.
She currently runs in an Apple Green livery
similar to that of the former Great Northern