Samson was delivered to the railway on 20th July
1927, the identical twin of Hercules.
These two locomotives were designed — by
Henry Greenly — and ordered to cope with the
anticipated ballast traffic that the line hoped to
transport. She fell victim to it's failure to materialise
and her own inability to negotiate the points and
crossings in use on the railway at the time.
Between the years 1931 and 1946 she remained un-used. Rusting away in the yard, she was
raided for spares.
After the war, Samson was sent to Hove for a
re-build and then in 1961 she received a
In 1973, she was involved in a fatal accident with
a stolen car at a level crossing at Dymchurch and
sent to Leeds for repair, returning the following
year. This accident led to the installation of
flashing warning lights being installed at road
crossings on the railway.
From 1955, Samson appeared in a lined black
livery, but she received a red coat of paint whilst
she was used at the 1984 Garden Festival in
Liverpool. This livery remained until a 1989
repaint, when she emerged in a dark blue similar
to that of the former Great Eastern Region.
Her whistle is an American Crosby Chime.
Her last overhaul occured during 1994-1995 and
she emerged retaining the handsome dark-blue
livery but equipped with the smoke deflectors she
wore briefly after the 1974 overhaul.
In the early part of May 1996, Samson became
the fifth Romney loco to travel up to the
Ravengalss and Eskdale Railway for a few
days work on that fine line.
Along with Hercules, Samson runs with a
high capacity tender.