Based on the Henry Greenly-designed Pacifics that were already at the railway; Green Goddess, Northern Chief and Southern Maid.
Typhoon differed in that she had three cylinders.
The railway's founder and owner, Captain J E P
Howey, craved more power and ultimately speed
from his locomotives and the three cylinder route
was experimented with on this engine and her
sister No.8, Hurricane.
Before being delivered to New Romney on
19th May 1927, Typhoon posed for publicity
photographs next to the full-size Flying
Scotsman locomotive at Kings Cross.
The expected performance gains from the
three-cylinders didn't outweigh the increased
running costs and many breakdowns
experienced and she was converted to the
tried and tested two-cylinder configuration
A new large capacity tender was built for her in
1946, in 1955 the smoke deflectors were fitted
and in 1958 she received a superheated boiler.
Typhoon, prior to her recent overhaul, was
finished in a dark green similar to that once used
by the former Southern Railway, and her whistle
is from one of that company's Bullied designed
'West Country' class locomotives.
In May 1997 — as Typhoon celebrated 70 years
at New Romney — she traveled north to the
Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway to take part in
the 21st birthday celebrations of their loco
In May 2008 she travelled all the way to
Cumbria, with Hurricane, to spend some time on
the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.